Student Blogs

One Month

August 21st, 2011 cmcurr11

In exactly one month, I’ll be flying over to London to begin my two year stay at Oxford. No, it hasn’t sunk in yet. Ironically enough, one of my best British friends, Yszi, is visiting at the moment.

Yszi and me

I guess her presence is tuning my ear for the British accents I’ll be hearing shortly. It’s been so much fun having her on this side of the pond – she can’t get over the size of our roads, how much sugar is in American Coke (nearly 3 times that of British Coke), and how awesome our customer service is.

Last night at dinner at one of our favorite restaurants (how’d you guess it’s an Irish pub?), somehow the conversation turned toward how moving me in Freshman year was such a hassle and how miserable I was on that day/night. To any incoming freshmen who read this blog – beware. It is one of the most tiring days (emotionally and physically) that you will experience. I remember that my emotions ranged from being absolutely thrilled and then quickly to absolutely horrified. As we inched closer toward Holy Cross, I suddenly realized that I didn’t know anyone at this school, that I was nearly two thousand miles away from home, and my parents and sister were leaving me that night. Since we arrived at Holy Cross late (as in, at 2:30 p.m. and we had to be at Mass for 4:00 p.m.), my room was barely set up – Mom had unpacked my clothes and Dad had set up my desk area, but we didn’t have a chance to make any Target runs. Meanwhile, Carrie’s side of the room looked amazing – she had even been to the bookstore a few times. I, however, didn’t even have my Holy Cross ID. Dad and Caitie went to Mass to save seats, and Mom and I headed off to Public Safety to pick up my ID. Then we hiked back up the Hill to catch the last half of Mass…and then Paul Covino said those words that I was dreading. “Parents, go home. Students, please process to the soccer field.” My parents quickly said good-bye to me since they had to make a mile to move my sister into Colgate. I inevitably burst into tears. That night, I hung out with Carrie and went to our Orientation activities with her, but I remember returning to the room and just feeling crushed. It was such an exhausting day.

Things started to get better automatically, though. The next day, I attended Orientation activities, and I figured out how to call for cabs and get myself to Target and the grocery store. I met more people through my Orientation activities, and Carrie and I had most of our meals together in those first few days. I also had my interview for the blogging position on that Wednesday, which was also the first day of classes. Things just started clicking, and I suddenly started feeling so much more relaxed. As each day progressed, I fell more in love with Holy Cross, and between the professors, my friends, my classes, and the general atmosphere, Holy Cross became my home.

Now let’s fast forward a few years, shall we? Specifically to Graduation Day, when I was crying because I didn’t want to leave Holy Cross. Quite the change from Freshman Move in Day 2007, isn’t it? So to the incoming Class of 2015  – August 27th might be the worst day of your life. But I can almost guarantee you that it gets better nearly instantaneously the next day. So hang in there, and remember to get there before 2:30 p.m.

One Response to “One Month”

  1. Dad says:

    Hey, Mark made it into the photo too!!

<< Older Entries