Back to Basics

July 3rd, 2011 cmcurr11

(For those of you who have been waiting for the massive photo entry, please bear with me. There are a few technical difficulties, but it will be up soon!)

Since I’ve been back home, I’ve been cleaning my room like no other. When you add it all up, I’ve only been home for 6 weeks in the past year. I didn’t have time to unpack all of my documents and books from Oxford when I came back in August, and I was too sick in December to do anything but worry about the time I was losing on my thesis research. Well, as I was cleaning out my room, I came across a huge mountain of papers and articles from my year at Oxford. As I was going through them, I found one really interesting document – it was the first draft of my thesis proposal. I had scrawled at the top, “No good.” I’m not sure if I was referring to the actual draft or the topic itself, but I had to laugh since the finished version was staring right at me on the next shelf in my bookshelf. It’s funny how a year can change things.

In other thesis news, I spent this past weekend with my sister in Savannah, GA, where Flannery O’Connor was born. And, yes, of course I stopped by her house.

Visiting O’Connor’s house and finding that first thesis draft just brought me back to where I was a year ago. I was still in England at the time, and I was preparing to re-acclimate myself to my “normal” life at Holy Cross and in America in general. I was beyond nervous about my work, but I was also so excited for my senior year to finally be here. I anticipated applying to graduate school, and I had the same fears that everyone in my class did – what do I do next year? It doesn’t seem real that that was only a year ago. Now, I’m finished with my thesis on O’Connor (and Julian! Let’s not forget her!), I have my Holy Cross diploma, and I purchased my British Airways flight to head over to London in the fall. I honestly cannot believe that things are moving this quickly.

(P.S. I got a new digital camera for graduation, so you can expect a whole lot more photos on this site that aren’t from a) my Blackberry or b) disposable cameras.)