“Did That Really Just Happen?”: Graduation, Part 1

June 1st, 2011 cmcurr11

I am now safely back in Georgia, and all of my photos have been developed (disposable cameras are going to make a come back, I’m telling you!). The past week has been a whirlwind. One day, I was turning in my last paper, and the next, I graduated. So, let’s go back to last Tuesday/Wednesday, when graduation events really started.

Margaret and I have wanted to host a croquet party for quite some time. And Tuesday was the perfect weather, so we took advantaged of it. Frank, Brian, Professor Cass, Bill, and Margaret all played, while I watched (sports and I don’t get along).

While they were all playing, I took some time to take some photos of my beloved campus.

Wednesday was when all of the real graduation events started. My parents and my grandmother came to campus for my induction into Phi Beta Kappa, which is probably the most prestigious academic honor society in the nation, and my dinner with the Magis Program.

Bill and I look sooooo thrilled.

Signing the record. I’m officially a member!

After the induction ceremony, we headed off to the Magis Dinner. The Magis Program basically identifies those students who show potential to be leaders in the Church – whatever role that may be. We’re required to do a certain number of activities, such as being involved in SPUD and serving in liturgical ministry. On Wednesday night, each of the Magis seniors were asked to give a brief description of their faith journey at Holy Cross, how the Magis program has helped, and what we plan to do with the lessons learned here. I was seated with Paul Melley (my chaplain), Dean Freeman, and Dean Frijie. Wow. I don’t think that I’ve ever laughed that much. After giving our speeches, our chaplains then gave us our Magis Medals. In addition to the Honors program, I think that the Magis Program is probably the best decision that I made at Holy Cross. One of the unique aspects of the program is that you’re assigned a chaplain – Paul Melley in my case – and you meet with the Chaplain at least once every other week (if you’re abroad like I was, then you e-mail. A lot). Your chaplain gets to witness your spiritual development, and he/she can guide you in certain directions. I always loved my meetings with Paul, whether I cried, laughed, or talked during them. What’s also great about the program is that the Chaplains guide you for your life after Holy Cross – I thought that the program was only for those entertaining thoughts about JVC or Americorps, but that’s not the case at all. Amongst the 11 graduating Magis Seniors, one is going to med school, another is going into medical research, several are going off to JVC or other service outlets, one is going to Turkey on a Fulbright, and I’m going to Oxford. It’s such a diverse group, and I’m not sure if I would’ve been friends with these people had it not been for the Magis program.

Paul handing me my medal.

Magis 2011

Magis 2011 with the Chaplains and Dean Freeman

Paul and Me

I died when this photo was taken.

And…after that, we went our separate ways to prepare for the next day – Baccalaureate Mass.

One Response to ““Did That Really Just Happen?”: Graduation, Part 1”

1. Dad says:

You left out Dean Neal Lipsitz who definitely added to the laughter at our table! Great photos especially the last one – your favorite.