Welcome, Class of 2014!

August 31st, 2010 cmcurr11

On Saturday, the Class of 2014 moved in. It’s quite strange to see the number 2014 on campus. The Mass of the Holy Spirit went extremely smoothly, too (Bill and I were successful in gracefully laying out the giant corporal). It was the first time since my freshman year that the Mass has been held outside, and we had amazing weather. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and the temperature was at least manageable, unlike my freshman year. As I served the Blood of Christ to the crowd of over 2400 people, I took my first good look at the Class of 2014. I have to be honest with you – I don’t remember being that small. Okay, at 5’2″, I’m quite small physically. But I don’t remember looking any different than I do now. Who knows – maybe it’s that gleam of innocence of never spending an all-nighter that was shining in all of their eyes. But that realization brought me back to my own experience on Freshman move-in day (for the hilarious story, read the post below), my own Freshman Orientation, and my first few days and classes on campus (fun fact: tomorrow will be the four year anniversary of me receiving this post. Cakes may be sent to my HC box number. :)). Serving at the Mass was quite nostalgic in itself. It made me think about my time here, and made me relive all of those memories that made me realize that Holy Cross was truly the place for me. Now, I won’t have any chick flick moments on the blog (I’ll save that for May), but sharing in the Mass made me realize just how much I’ve grown from that scared and crying freshman back on that scorching day in August to the calm and collected senior (HAH. I know, I know – that’s a good one, right?) guiding freshmen to the Mass. It’s amazing what can happen in a matter of four years, right? It also made me realize how happy I am to be back at Holy Cross for my senior year; Oxford was an amazing experience, but it is good to be back.

Of course, participating in the Mass of the Holy Spirit always makes me feel better about my own Mass. At the end of the Mass, Paul announces the blessing. Almost instantaneously, one parent and/or freshman will start to cry. Then it just works like a domino effect throughout the rest of the congregation. To those freshmen who cried – don’t worry; that blessing always gets the best of us.

Tomorrow is the first day of classes; my schedule is a bit wonky this year since I’m taking two seminars, a lecture, and writing my thesis as a part of both the College Honors Program and the English Honors Program. As a result, I don’t have classes on Mondays or Fridays (warning: results not typical until your senior year). Tomorrow, I have to work at Kimball until 10:15, and then I have Apocalypticism Through the Ages with Prof. Murphy. Later on at night, I have a seminar for English Honors Program called Research Methods…and so it all begins. Hold on tight – it’s going to be an adventure this year filled with applications, interviews, and enjoying my last year on the Hill!

One Response to “Welcome, Class of 2014!”

1. Pops says:

Love the idea that you you will actually be served cakes for your anniversary! Four-year blogger deserves some accolades!!