Back Home

August 6th, 2010 cmcurr11

Sorry about the lack of recent updates. The reason why I haven’t posted in quite some time is because a) I was traveling with my sister and then b) I was packing up to leave England.

I know. I know. I said it – I actually left England.

My sister arrived in the middle of July, and I had finished a bulk of my research prior to her arrival. The next morning, we headed off to Rome, and we spent four days exploring the Eternal City. I felt quite bad for Caitie at certain points since I was going off and being a typical Classics nerd. An American couple actually followed us around the Colosseum as I was going off about the history of the building (thank you, Prof. Ellen Perry!). After our amazing four days in Rome, we headed off to Paris, where we visited the Louvre, Versailles, the Arc de Triomphe, and, of course, the Eiffel Tower. Needless to say, after our eight days in Rome and Paris, Caitie and I had eaten more than our fill of excellent food. In order to return to England, we took a ferry from Calais to Dover. It was a bit more roundabout than the Chunnel would’ve been, but seeing the white cliffs of Dover was definitely worth the extra travel time. After exploring London and Oxford for a bit, Caitie and I then headed off to Dublin and Cork for a few days (don’t you love Ryanair’s cheap flights?!). Whilst we spent most of our time there exploring the pubs and checking out the Guinness brewery, we also saw the Book of Kells at Trinity College and I stopped at as many spots mentioned in James Joyces’ Ulysses as possible. Our return from Ireland, though, signaled that we only had three days left in England. In addition to seeing the major sites, we spent one of our last nights in London and took a river boat cruise on the Thames at night. I promise, photos will be uploaded! After that, we spent our last two days in Oxford packing everything up and saying good-bye to all of my friends. I really cannot believe that I accumulated that much stuff over the course of a year. I left England on Monday, and I’ve been home since.

So, what am I doing right now? Well, life just picked right back up when I stepped off the plane.I’m currently sorting things out for the GRE tests this upcoming fall; I’m also organizing everything for my senior (and final!) year at Holy Cross. I already purchased a majority of my books, and I’m (trying to, at least) packing up all of my clothes and other necessities. Honestly, after packing everything that I needed for a year into two suitcases, this task really isn’t that daunting anymore! Ballroom is already starting with a couple of major events in September (we’re hosting our first workshop and our third social), and Cecilia and I are already working on making this an extremely competitive team this year.

I can’t believe that I’ll be leaving for Massachusetts on Wednesday, then in Cape Cod for a week (my life is so tough, I know! :D), and then I’ll be back at Holy Cross for the 23rd of August. Hello, senior year!