Cue the Week 5 Blues…

February 15th, 2010 cmcurr11

Week 5 is traditionally associated with “the blues” at Oxford simply because you’re more than halfway finished with term, but the work just seems endless. Luckily for me, I’ve had enough tea and sugar this morning (and it’s only 9:30!), so I’m not feeling the blues at all.

As most of you know, my life at Oxford has consisted of studying and dancing. Well, that hasn’t changed much. I spent my last two Saturdays at dance competitions. At the first one, the team did really well, and we tied with Cambridge for the overall win. My partner, Sam, and I also did really well. We made it to the semis of both the ballroom dances, but Latin proved to be our best discipline once more. We placed 4th in Cha Cha and 2nd in Jive. Oxford continued its domination this past Saturday at SUDC, which is basically the prelude to the National Championships. Sam and I did well again; we made the semis of both ballroom dances. We also placed seventh in Cha and second in Jive. Now that IVDC (the national championship) is just two weeks away, Sam and I are practicing even more (isn’t that a scary thought).

I swear that I’m doing more than just dancing, though! I’m really enjoying both of my tutorials and various lectures this term. My Medieval Paleography tutorial is going really well; for this past week, I researched the Junius Manuscript. That research has given me a couple of ideas for a Ph.D. project, but that’s about three years off! My Victorian Literature tutorial is also going well. I think this is the first time in a long time that I’ve dealt with texts that aren’t pre-1500! This tutorial is reminding me just why I am an English major – I just love all periods of literature. I won’t bore you with that tangent, though.

Well, I’m off to do some errands and return to my second home, the library. Until next time!