Dear Reality: Go Away

February 1st, 2010 cmcurr11

Right now, I’m the epitome of a paradox. As I sit here cuddled up in my Tinkerbell pajama pants and Disney Princess blanket whilst eating toast slathered with Nutella and drinking hot chocolate, I’m thinking about my future. Unfortunately, as much as I want to stave off reality for as long as I can, the major fact that’s hitting me like a ton of bricks is that I’m going to be a senior at Holy Cross next year. At the moment, I’m contemplating a couple of options for my senior year (I won’t divulge just in case…). It’s incredibly frightening to think that a) I have to leave Oxford (you knew that was coming), b) I’ll be that much closer to the real world, and c) I’ll only have one more year left at Holy Cross. The options that I’m considering for my senior year could also affect my options for graduate school, which is even more frightening. Whilst this process is definitely confusing (do I want to apply? What are the merits of applying? Do I even have time to do such a project? etc…), I’m also grateful for it. When I haven’t been studying or dancing, I’ve been taking long walks around Oxford just trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Some of my older readers might be thinking, “Your plans will definitely change.” And who knows? That could very well be true. Just flipping through some of the older entries in this blog (particularly from freshman year), has made me realize how much I’ve changed as a person (primarily with regards to academic interests and goals), and that’s just over a span of two and a half years. It’s just that these applications and programs want to see where I envision myself in the next ten years (yes, ten years. *gulp*). These essay questions have really made me think about what I truly want to do with my life (honestly, there are some days that I just feel like becoming a professional dancer…just kidding, parentals), and I’ve also had to reconsider what I need to do to get to where I want to be. It’s extremely frightening, but…welcome to the real world, I guess!