Where in the World Is Colleen Curran?

January 8th, 2010 cmcurr11

Who else used to watch “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?” I was addicted to that show and my parents bought me all of the computer games associated with it. Anyway, back to the actual reason for this post…

When I landed in London on Wednesday, I wasn’t sure if I was in Boston or London. I’m not sure if you all have heard, but Europe is experiencing a nasty cold spell this winter. I was lucky enough to get out of London when I did (a majority of flights from Heathrow were canceled in the following days after I left), but I was even luckier to arrive in London  when I did. I flew out of Atlanta on Tuesday afternoon when it was a balmy 29 degrees Fahrenheit. I arrived in Paris, and I had about thirty minutes originally until my connecting flight to London Heathrow. Well, there was so much snow in London that that flight was delayed for about an hour and a half. I finally arrived in London about three hours later than scheduled. Retrieving my bags and getting to the Oxford Airline bus went much more smoothly than the last time. When the bus started driving to Oxford, though, the amount of snow seemed more typical of Boston or Worcester than Oxford. Here’s where the fun begins: the bus dropped me off right outside my apartment building. It just so happened that the sidewalks weren’t shoveled and there was about a foot of snow on the ground. I was wearing my cowboy boots, which have very little traction, and I had to drag two filled suitcases behind me. Luckily, I received some help doing that, and now I’m all settled in. The snow does make Oxford look even more gorgeous, though.

Dale Courtyard Just Over the Magdalen Bridge Magdalen Tower Balliol College Mansfield Road The Radcliffe Camera

The only bad thing about snow, however, is that it tends to shut down an entire city. On Wednesday, I pretty much had just enough time to run to the grocery store to find something to eat. Luckily, on Thursday, the snow wasn’t as bad and the city was functioning. I promptly bought a pair of boots, as I left my beautiful pair of Timberlands at home, unfortunately. I had heard that there was snow but I didn’t expect this much!). But, now I’m all set for the next snow onslaught that is scheduled to hit us all this weekend. Holy Cross has prepared me in many ways for Oxford, but I had no idea that snow was one of the categories!