April 23, 2009

April 23rd, 2009 admin

Warning! The author of this entry requests that you are firmly seated on a chair or other flat surface with some railing mechanism. To read this entry without such safety features could result in shock, falling off chairs, or death.

Right now, I’m typing a paper…in the Science library. I know, I know. The building has not burned down, and I have not randomly combusted. This is quite a new experience for me. I have to write a paper for my Math class, and all of my books and resources are in the Science Library. Besides, I might as well experience the fifth best Science library at any liberal arts institution in the nation before I go abroad next year, right (bet that you didn’t know that fact!)? It’s so…different in here. Maybe I should study in here more often. See, there aren’t any fun books to distract me. For instance, when I was supposed to be writing my Tolkien paper a couple of days ago, Kierkegaard distracted me. Here, though, there are no such distractions. I mean, who really wants to read a book about fractals? There are pretty pictures, though. Then again, I miss the feeling of Dinand. The Science library is nice, but it just doesn’t have that old, dusty book quality to it. But at least now I can say that I’ve been in this library on my tours.

This past week has been hectic to say the least. I was tempted to write the word chaotic because I’m writing my math paper on Chaos theory in paintings, specifically in Van Gogh and Pollock. But that pun would’ve only been funny to me, hence the exclusion. Anyway… This week started out quite hilariously, actually. Sunday was Accepted Students’ Day. I was in the Chapel from 8:45-11 to answer questions. I think maybe three people came. It was filled later on in the day, but I guess that some other speeches were going on at the time. I was also Lit. Co. at the Accepted Students’ Day Mass. I kind of messed up the intro (and by kind of, I mean really). Paul was supposed to do it, but I didn’t know that. Oh well – it all worked out. After that, Ashely, Michelle, two of Michelle’s friends, and I had dinner at Ciampi with Frs. Lynch and Savard. We won an auction a while ago. It was fantastic. The food was amazing, and all of us said that we want to live there. They do have five extra rooms or so. I asked if I could live there if I became the Jesuit version of a nun. They said no. Oh, well. I’ll just keep on winning that meal auction! Frs. Lynch and Savard are two really great guys and just so down to earth (all of the Jesuits are, in fact!). We actually had a Peep war. I told Fr. Lynch how Carrie and I had a peep war last year, and he was intrigued. So, we held our own peep war in Ciampi (Fr. McFarland, if you’re reading this, I swear it wasn’t me. It was everyone else, and I just watched on the sidelines. I had nothing to do with this!). After Sunday, though, I have spent all of my time in Dinand. I’ve had several presentations, papers, and applications due. And, I officially have less than two weeks left for my sophomore year. I also have approximately two exams and eighty pages (no, I’m not exaggerating) to write between now and May 6th. Oh well; it’ll all be finished. Well, I have to return to my math paper and find some more books in this frightening location. How do these science majors do it?