September 7, 2008

September 7th, 2008 admin

I can’t believe it, but the first week of classes has already come to an end. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I have Jesus and His Contemporaries (lovingly called Jesus and Friends by Ashley and Katie), Readings in Medieval Literature, and Medieval Philosophy. Jesus and His Contemporaries is an anthropological and sociological study of the Palestine society and Jewish tradition in which Jesus lived. Basically, the class will examine Jesus’ Jewishness. I am so excited for this class. I’ve been attending Catholic school since kindergarten, but my theology classes never really addressed this aspect of Jesus’ life. In Medieval Literature, we’re beginning with Beowulf, but the course will take us through seven different Medieval cultures. How exciting is that?! We’re reading The Saga of The Volsungs, The Romance of the Rose, Yvain, The Inferno, The Canterbury Tales, and other Medieval lays and poems. I am so very excited for this course. This is one area of literature that simply fascinates me, and I think that I’m going to make my own concentration in Classical and Medieval Literature. But now I’m digressing. Medieval Philosophy will cover the following four major philosophers of that era: Augustine, Aquinas, Eckert, and Nicholas of Cusa. I thought it’d be a good idea to take Medieval Philosophy to gain an insight into the major mindsets of the time. On Tuesdays, I have Dante’s Classical Sources. I have always loved The Divine Comedy, and this course will highlight some of Dante’s many influences. Primarily, we’ll be studying The Aeneid (thank you Fr. Vodoklys for having us translate this last semester), The Metamorphoses, and some biblical literature, and analyzing the impact of the Classical world upon Dante. So, all in all, I am quite excited for my four classes this semester. And, guess what the best news is? I only have two exams! Two of my classes require a final paper, and not an exam. Anyways…

In addition to classes beginning, life in general has just started up back here at Holy Cross. My first Kimball captain shift was on Thursday, and all the head liturgical ministers had a retreat from Friday to Saturday. The retreat went really well, and was a fantastic opportunity for us to reflect upon our respective ministries for the upcoming school year. Friday night, we were all playing a game of Charades that somehow turned into a Battle of The Sexes. Some of the words we had to act out were Constantinople, Intergalactic Lord Zorn, Hammurabi’s Code, and Bamberg’s Fifth Concerto. Needless to say, both teams were a tad ridiculous. I just returned from my first weekend Kimball shift (and, I must say, it was the busiest I have ever seen Kimball. I don’t think it’s been that busy even on a chicken parm. night), and I’m lecturing for the first time this school year at the ten o’clock Mass tonight. This upcoming week is going to be extremely packed with meetings as everything else begins to start back up again.

On a completely random note, yesterday was Homecoming, so I was able to see some of my friends who graduated last year. Loyola stopped by the room to say hello and catch up with Ashley, Katie, and me.

All right, I’m off to the library to get a head start on some of my work for this week. Until next time!