July 25, 2008

July 25th, 2008 admin

Hey everyone! I’m sorry it’s been so long since my last entry, but this summer has been extremely busy for me. Between working as a waitress, catching up with all of my friends, and preparing for my trip to England, I feel like I have no time whatsoever.

My job as a waitress at a local Irish pub went really well this summer. My sister was also hired there, so it was great to work with her this summer. One of my customers was actually related to the director of Athletics for Holy Cross – rather small world, I guess! 

My friends and I weren’t able to hang out as much as we had anticipated at the beginning of the summer, but we still had fun together. For Fourth of July weekend, my friends and I went up to my friend’s, Tara, lake house. We spent the weekend jet-skiing, white water rafting, and kayaking. We also hung out last night and had a picnic in a local park. It was great to meet up with all of them, and I’m quite lucky to have friends like them.

As for other things that I’ve done this summer, I went to see Flannery O’Connor’s, who is my favorite author, home in Milledgeville, GA. It was great to see the actual place where she wrote her short stories. My family and I have also attended a couple of Braves games. Ted Turner put up a new addition at the ballpark – a Chick-Fil-A cow that does the tomahawk chop whenever a Braves scores a home run. It’s not exactly like watching my beloved Red Sox at Fenway, but the cow certainly adds a whole new level of entertainment! Aside from that, there’s really not that much to do in Georgia during the summertime. It’s honestly too hot to do anything but be indoors.

It’s really weird to think that I won’t be back home until it’s cold. This summer has been brutal down here. The high has usually been anywhere from 90 to 100 degrees. It’s also really weird to think that I won’t see any of my friends until Christmas.

Tonight, I’m flying to London. My class at Oxford begins on Sunday. I can’t believe that it’s finally here! When I returned home in May, July 25th seemed so far away. I’m both nervous and excited for the class that I’m taking – British Empire and the Rise of Terrorism. I’ll probably be updating daily when I adjust to the time difference over there. When I return to the States, I’m spending a day with my family in Boston, and then I’m moving into Wheeler Hall at Holy Cross for Kimball Week.

Well, I have to double check to make sure that I have everything packed up. Until my next post, which will be from Oxford!
100_2074

100_2083

100_2087

100_2090

100_2104

100_2124

100_2117