Year 2

October 8th, 2012 cmcurr11

Well, here it is – today is the first day of the second year of grad school. Kind of a scary thought, isn’t it?

This year, my program of study is going to be a bit different than last year. Whereas I had set classes every week last year, I’ll just have a tutorial in Old English Language every week, and then a paleography tutorial every other week starting three weeks from now. Then, next term, I’ll trade out the Old English Language tutorial for one in Word and Image in Anglo-Saxon manuscripts. I have to write an article for every tutorial and take an exam for my Paleography class in Hilary Term (yeah, so Hilary Term is going to be fun again with two essays to write and an exam…just like last year). Last year, my classes were standard and adhered to a structure syllabus. This year, all of my tutorials are self-directed. I’ve met with my professors (just two guys between the three classes. Hope they like me!) to tell them about my personal research interests, and we’ve set up syllabi to compliment those personal interests. So, over the course of the next year, I won’t really be dealing with any texts that are past c.1300. I’ll pretty much be dealing with c.600-1100, which is awesome! My actual first classes aren’t until next week (next Wednesday, to be precise), but I’m already back in the libraries brushing up on Old English and Latin. It’s going to be an exciting – if albeit busy – term ahead.