Master of English

June 19th, 2012 cmcurr11

On June 11th, I technically became a Master of English.

Yeah, that’s a scary thought.

I turned in my dissertation on the images in Junius 11 earlier in the morning, and…well, now I’m finished for the year. It seems strange – I’ve spent nearly every day since mid-April working on the thesis, and suddenly….it’s just finished. There’s still so much more that I want to write about the Junius manuscript, but I was only allowed to write 11,000 words. I presented my dissertation two days later at a conference at the University of Dundee in Scotland. Although traveling to Scotland was a bit of an adventure, the conference itself went really well. I presented at the Scottish Word and Image Group conference, and I was the only Old English presentation. Most of the other presentations focused on the sixteenth century and beyond, so it was helpful to learn how I needed to adapt my material for a non-specialist audience.

So, now that I’ve technically finished for the year, I’m taking advantage of all of the libraries in Oxford and catching up on some reading. I’m working through a few classics at the moment, and I’ll start researching my dissertation topics for next year (if you can believe it…). Until then, I’m working to save up some money for my trip back to Boston starting on July 17th. And, yes, you can bet that I will be meeting up with more than a few Crusaders.