Flashback: Graduation

May 17th, 2011 cmcurr11

Let’s go back to a time when none of you knew me (well, except my family that reads this blog). I graduated from Blessed Trinity Catholic High School exactly four years ago today. Yes, I grew out my hair during my senior year of high school. However, it gets really hot in Georgia during the summer, so I chopped it all off before I started my first semester at Holy Cross.

I knew that I was headed off to the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA. I knew no one else going to Holy Cross. A majority of my classmates were heading off to UGA, Alabama (all of them were not hurt in the recent tornadoes, by the way), Auburn, Clemson, or Georgia Tech. I was choosing a small, liberal-arts college, which was quite an uncommon choice. This is the first photo of me wearing official Holy Cross gear.

At the time of my high school graduation, I didn’t know what to expect from Holy Cross. I just remember being generally excited.

I enjoy ruining perfectly good photos by closing my eyes.

Knowing what I know now, I’m not sure what I’d tell myself on my high school graduation day. When I was 17, I had no idea that I would be graduating with a double major in English and Medieval Studies. I had no idea that I would become obsessed with ballroom dance. I didn’t know that I would go to Oxford for my year abroad (I didn’t even know that I’d spend a year abroad!). I didn’t know that I would meet professors who would forever change my life. Maybe I’d tell myself to remember my passport for Summer Orientation to assist with paperwork for working at Kimball. Maybe I’d tell myself to not bring as many clothes as I did. Maybe I’d remind myself that one can never have enough tea mugs. But, most of all, I’d tell myself to remain as excited and open to all the possibilities that I was. I had no set plans when I entered Holy Cross other than my English major, and that helped me to discover all of the possibilities that I did over my four years. Maybe the one thing that I would tell myself on May 17, 2007, is that I made the right choice.

This photo was taken during the summer when I was dreaming of my first days at Holy Cross, and I proudly displayed all of the Holy Cross gear that Mom bought for me during Accepted Students’ Day. Yup, I think I kept up the excitement all right.

And, no, I don’t mind embarrassing myself horridly on this blog. I feel like we’ve known each other long enough.

One Response to “Flashback: Graduation”

1. Mae says:

Lol Congratulations! I think you had one meaningful journey. The future is yours 😀